Doing Your Dirty Work: a sampler of contemporary art about sex
Open to Artists in the United States
“Doing Your Dirty Work” is the second annual group exhibition at the Center for Sex and Culture in San Francisco, California. We invite all artists that are at least 18 years old to submit recent artwork that deals with themes of sexuality, sexual identity and gender identity. Please do not censor yourself. Nothing is too dirty! Nothing is too perverse!
The Center for Sex and Culture Gallery aims to provide space for artwork of significant merit that addresses sexuality and sexual identity, especially outsider or minority sexual identity. Too often mainstream art spaces self-censor or are afraid of sexual content. Too often the standard of artistic merit in sexuality community spaces is disappointingly low. Erotic art exhibitions are too often heavily hetero, cis, or white centric. CSC Gallery makes bridging these divides and providing a solution to these shortcomings its mission.
Jurors: Dorian Katz, CSC Curator and Marlene Hoeber, CSC Director of Collections
Submissions are due at midnight Friday, May 15th, 2013. The show will be from Friday July 5th through Friday, August 30th.
To enter your work, send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- 5 images, jpegs less than 2mb each
- List of images with size, media and title (in the body of your email)
- Artist CV (attachment)
- Statement of up to 300 words about your work. Send one statement only and not one for each of the 5 images (in the body of your email)
- On the main page of http://www.sexandculture.org/ click on the green donations button on the right side of our main page to pay $15 entry fee through the option Doing Your Dirty Work. (Note that you have paid entry fee in body of your email.)
· The gallery space also serves other uses so floor space is not available. We do not have equipment to present video work, but will accept wall-mounted video work with provided equipment. Wall-mounted sculpture is also acceptable.
· In subject line of email, write “Art Submission – 2013
Center for Sex and Culture
San Francisco, CA
Contact: Dorian Katz