$20 will buy one chair which we can paint, with your name on it!
The Intersections Cafe is a peer support group that was established by CNY for Solidarity in the spring of 2014 in Syracuse, NY. It is a space for LGBTQ people to come together for community support, both emotional and material. Currently, we rent chairs each meeting, on top of the fees to rent the space by the hour. We would like your help to purchase our own chairs. $20 will sponsor one chair. We will be painting and decorating them as a group and if you would like, we can add your name and a dedication on the chair you sponsor. Once we raise enough money, the rest of the funds we raise will go towards rental space.
There are several things that make the Intersections Cafe unique.
- LGBTQ people of all ages. We have organizations in Syracuse for LGBTQ youth and seniors, but many of us do not fit those categories. This is a space for all ages, and because of this, we have a lot to offer one another.
- The values of intersectionality. Or in other words, we try to emphasize the way that homophobia, transphobia, racism, classism, and other forms of oppression are all interrelated. We realize people are more than just their sexual orientation and gender identity and try to avoid discrimination within our own community.
- Transgender leadership. Most groups are gay/lesbian run, and some attempt to be inclusive of trans* and gender nonconforming people. At Intersections, the main demographic we serve is transgender people, but all are welcome to learn, share, and discuss how gender and sexuality affect their lives. We have a diverse group of attendees.
- Free food. Coffee plus meals or snacks are provided each time. Volunteers prepare and transport the food. In addition, we make sure there are groceries from our pantry for attendees to take home with them. We realize that the LGBTQ and trans* communitie are much more likely to live in povery. Mainstream food pantries are often uncomfortable or even unsafe for us. Having food available in safe spaces like Intersections is very important!
- Beyond being a support group where people can talk, Intersections provides a point of contact for other supportive resources and services. These include assitance with employment, healthcare, food, and other needs in the LGBTQ and trans* communities.
Please help us maintain this exciting new program! Again, $20 will sponsor a chair, but we are grateful for any donation, no matter how small. Please spread the word and feel free to come to our next meeting!
About Intersections Cafe: “Transgender, genderqueer, gay, queer, crossdresser, lesbian, asexual, bisexual, pansexual, whatever: As long as you are open-minded you belong at the Intersections Cafe! Come vent, share, or just listen… and have a FREE MEAL & COFFEE or TEA! Location is right across from the Centro Transit Hub.”
Seriously, it seems like as soon as I left Syracuse awesome stuff started happening. But for real, CNY For Solidarity is so cool and run by truly wonderful people, and they are doing real, concrete things to help the LGBTQ community in Central New York. This is just one of many, so if you can donate, please do, I know I will be once I get paid again.
These descriptions really warmed my heart. Throw some love & money their way, yeah?